At the beginning of October, the Children’s Radio Foundation hosted the annual Youth Radio Awards event in Cape Town. Having been nominated for one of the best broadcasts in the health category, our Umgungu Flashpoint team was there. Mfa (facilitator), Ziyanda, Bongiwe, Khethenhle, & Thembi joined over 30 other young broadcasters from across South Africa for the event. They described the experience as, “an incredible weekend, filled with skillful and knowledgeable individuals.”
Radio remains one of the most powerful media tools to get vital information to the public. Sinomlando Centre is honoured to be working alongside young people who encourage us to ask questions, voice our opinions, and discover insights into our world and all its joys and sorrows.
As part of the event, the Children’s Radio Foundation led the young reporters through an all-day experimental session of influential speeches, inventive idea exchanges, bold storytelling, and much more. What are we working towards? What is the impact of our radio station? What have we already accomplished? These were some of the challenging questions asked.
Young Reporters from four different stations (Cosat, Alex, Aganang & Qwaqwa) spoke about the value of outreach in schools, awareness of gun violence, youth campaigns and a competition called “My body, My rights”. The Umgungu Flashpoint team shared true and personal stories that sparked others to share and become vulnerable. Again, we proved that storytelling is a powerful tool that builds relationships and allows us to relate to one another.
Congratulations to all the winners:
- Best Story on Violence and Community Safety: What’s Up Raise Your Voice, Emalahleni FM
- Best Story on Gender and Sexuality: Youth Chart Show on Vukani FM
- Best Reporting on Health: Umgungu Flashpoint Umgungundlovu FM
- Best Community Campaign: Aganang Fm-Ghetto Genius
- Best Youth Mentor: Monique Hansen, Radio Atlantis
- Station of the Year: BoomTalk Youth Reporters, Greater Lebowakgomo FM
- Best Innovation: Dream Achievers, QwaQwa Radio
- Social Media: Bigger than life #AlexFm 89.1
- Best Reporting on Current Affairs: Optimistic Youth Reporters, Centre of Science and Technology (COSAT)
Thank you to all the young broadcasters, for your informed, compelling reporting on the issues affecting young lives in your communities. We salute your commitment and passion for creating positive change through radio.